Friday, February 27, 2009

The Tradition Continues: Black Frost 32

(Leather Life column published in Lavender Magazine, Issue #359, February 27, 2009)

The Black Guard of Minneapolis recently welcomed out-of-town and local friends to their 32nd annual Black Frost run. Held the weekend of Feb. 6-8, the host hotel was the Days Inn-Midway in St. Paul.

The run’s show was presented Saturday afternoon, Feb. 7 at Rumours & Innuendo in downtown St. Paul. The show was entertaining and fabulous as always, but it had a different feel this year. Historically, members of the Black Guard have presented the show in a dark bar on a stage with theatrical lighting. This year’s show was performed against a backdrop of floor-to-ceiling windows in Innuendo’s sun-drenched front room. Putting aside metaphoric parallels about the gay and leather communities’ increasing openness and visibility, I’ll just say that the new venue was refreshing and transformed the show.

PHOTO: 01CoolCoolCool.jpg

“In the cool, cool, cool of the evening . . .”

PHOTO: 02All_I_Wanna_Do_Is_Love_You.jpg

“All I wanna do is love you.”

PHOTO: 03MissAmerica.jpg

“Miss America and Miss Runner-Up.”

PHOTO: 04NaughtyLittleGirlAtHeart.jpg

“I guess I’m just a naughty little girl at heart.”

PHOTO: 05IAmWhatIAm.jpg

“I am what I am/And what I am/Needs no excuses.”

PHOTO: 06BroadwayBaby.jpg

“I’m just a Broadway baby.”

PHOTO: 07It’sYourLove.jpg

“And if you wonder/’bout the spell I’m under/It’s your love.”

PHOTO: 08AWithOneLook.jpg

“With one look, I’ll be ME!”

PHOTO: 08BWithOneLook.jpg

“With one look, I’ll be ME!”

PHOTO: 09TheWayOldFriendsDo.jpg (You may want to crop this differently)

“I don’t care what comes tomorrow/We can face it together/The way old friends do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment